2016: It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times.

2016 was awesome, and it was utter dog shit. It's been a year where I did incredible things, and had once-in-a-lifetime experiences. It's also been a year where two of my closest friends have experienced serious health problems and where I've become increasingly convinced that we're now sliding down the slippery slope towards nuclear armageddon.

My year in a nutshell: me, on my dream honeymoon, in Malaysia, waking up at 3am, getting excited about the day ahead, scrolling through my phone, coming across a HuffPo article about what Putin could do in Europe, spending the next four hours pinioned to the bed in panic attack/doom spiral mode. Pete talked me round and we had a lovely day. Holiday of a lifetime, with added #TrumpPanic. That was so 2016.

I figured that there's enough doom on the internet so here, selfishly, personally, are the good, no, amazing things that happened to me in 2016:





I got married. Thanks to the generosity of our guests we raised a shit ton for the Maytree Suicide Respite Centre in the process.



I had a super relaxing hotel stay (once we'd found the damn car keys). I WILL NEVER CALL IT A MINI-MOON.




I went to my first and (given the difficulties of procuring a ticket) possibly last Glastonbury.


I saw Elton John in Leicester (and met Janet the next day)!



I went to the Isles of Scilly with Pete and Tom.


I did a lot of work I'm really proud of.

I came off all my medication and finished therapy and I'm still here.


I ran a 10k, 7.5k, 26.2 miles in a month, walked the Circle Line and...



... jumped out of a plane!



I went to Malaysia and, once I'd managed to stop thinking about Trump for more than 5 minutes, I genuinely relaxed for the first time in months and months.



Finally, if you're craving some good news (who isn't?) that's not just me rabbiting on about my life, I wholeheartedly recommend this TED Talk (stick with it).

See you on the flip side (or 'next year').

No comments

I'd love to hear what you think...