30 Before 30: Time's Up! #BEDM


It happened. I turned 30. When I first blogged about the list back in January 2012 turning 30 seemed like a long way off. The list seemed pretty achievable, so how did I run out of time?! In fairness, a lot has changed since then. I've gotten divorced, engaged and married (again), moved house four times, changed jobs and...well...lots of stuff, but if I tell you everything I've done in the first paragraph it'll kind ruin the post. Apologies to those of you who have read all my other 30 Before 30 posts, some of this won't be news to you! Without further ado, I present to you the best bits, the underwhelming bits, the stuff I half-assed and the one thing I wimped out of...



The Best Bits


Go on a family holiday. I actually managed this twice, and it must have gone well because we're all going back to the Isles of Scilly this summer. When I wrote my 30 Before 30 it had been years since I'd gone away with my parents, and I loved reconnecting with them on holiday (also, they like cake just as much as I do, so... lots of holiday cake).



Travel outside of Europe. I still can't believe this actually happened! Pete and I went to Japan last year and it was incredible.



Go back to Norway for a visit. I managed to make it back to Steinkjer in 2014 and it was awesome catching up with everyone properly.



Learn to drive. OMIGOD I ACTUALLY LEANRED TO DRIVE. Granted, this was nearly two years ago and I'm still a very nervous driver, but I've got that pink license and ain't no one taking it away from me.

Volunteer. I actually did a few different voluntary things, but the final one ended up leading to an actual, real, new job which I bloody love.



Get a tattoo. Got one, liked it so got another. And another. It's a shame that two of them are on my back really, because I don't get to enjoy them!



Go to at least 25 gigs. I don't know how many I actually managed but it was more than 25! This photo was Arcade Fire at Earls Court and it was amazing. Actually amazing. I'm very glad I rediscovered gig-going!

Join a book group, and read 100 new books. Again, I've lost count here but it was waaaaay more than 100! Another old passion rediscovered.



Get my hair professionally coloured. Went blue. Might as well go the whole hog, eh?



Attend the 10th anniversary of Fake Christmas. We've now had 12 Fake Christmasses, which makes me feel horribly old, but I don't care because Fake Christimas is awesome.

Seriously consider vegetarianism. I considered it. I tried it. I'm now properly pescatarian. Just don't mention the crispy beef incident.



Do something new every week. Although I've been pretty flaky recently at this one, making an effort to do new things has been really rewarding, and something I definitely want to pick up again. Starting NOW. Well, maybe in a couple of hours.

Continue to blog. It hasn't always been consistent, but I'm still here. In fact, this blog turned seven last week. SEVEN?!


The Underwhelming Bits

Learn to walk in heels. I sort of did. As long as they're boots or chunky, with a strap. It's fine but it didn't change my life.

Go for a whole week without watching TV. I did it. Conclusion? I really like TV. 


Take a course in psychology or counselling. Well, this part started well, but I enjoyed it so much I decided to try and do a part time Psychology MSc. Which led to a breakdown. Ironic.

Sample every type of cuisine in Cardiff's Red Hot World Buffet. Achieved. I felt very full.

Get a sewing machine. Got one. Started loads of things, finished pretty much nothing. Sewing machine has spent the last two years in the garage.


Enter my writing into a competition. Did this. It was ok but didn't really inspire me to write more, which is what I was hoping would happen.

Submit a PostSecret. I didn't actually do this. When I wrote the list I really loved Post Secret, but I've gotten quite bored of it in recent years.


The Stuff I Half-Assed

Go to a blogger meet up. Well, I did do this properly in that I went to one and enjoyed it, but I feel like I really should  have made the effort to do more!


Listen to a new album every month. I did this a bit. But probably not every month - Spotify has turned me into a playlist freak.

Submit three pieces of writing for publication. Now, I did get an article published in the SEN Experience (niche) but my other two attempts remain...unattempted.

Read ALL the Babysitters' Club books. As much as I love them (and I do) the time, effort and money involved in actually achieving this were waaaaaaaay beyond me!



The stuff I'll be doing this year (I hope):

Go to Glastonbury.
Go to Scotland.
Complete my therapy.
Jump out of a plane. With a parachute (obviously).


The one I wimped out of:

Perform on stage. I just couldn't bring myself to do it.... I did kareoke, I did my shark song in front of about 100 people and I gave a speech at my wedding. So that's something. Right?


So. It's done. Will there be a 40 Before 40? Probably not. I think I'd have done a lot of the good stuff anyway, and setting arbitrary targets does start to feel a bit pointless after a while! However, I feel like the travel-type ones have been really enjoyable so next I'm thinking maybe a London Bucket List..? Except it'll be called something else because I hate the phrase 'bucket list'.

Wow, that was a crazy long post. Well done if you made it this far. Have a sticker. Also, if you're doing #BEDM, say hi and send me your links!

No comments

I'd love to hear what you think...