Acceptance and Accidental Progress: Sharing My 2015

This time last year, Sarah inspired me to find 'a word of the year'. The idea (or the idea as I interpreted it anyway) is to find a word that summaries your intentions for the year; it's a brilliantly simple way to find a focus without signing up to a list of impossible-to-stick-to resolutions.

My word for 2015 was acceptance.

In November 2014 I wrote about giving up on goal setting. I was in the middle of an anxiety pit and, once again, had fallen apart after putting myself under too much pressure. Usually on New Year's Eve at midnight I end up thinking about my how my mental health's been that year and wondering, 'When will I be well again?' Last year, however, I had a mini epiphny. I thought, 'I've had two breakdowns this year, which were awful, but the in-between bits were great. Maybe this is as good as it gets. This might be it and actually that's ok.' I decided there and then that 2015 would be the year I stopped waiting to be 100% well again, accepted myself, and let my life happen. I  treid to stop striving and start living.

As it turned out, acceptance didn't mean the end of progress. Here's what happened in 2015....




I travelled to Greece and Japan. Greece was a lovely, relaxing (cheap) package deal and Japan was, well, a total accident. Pete found out he needed to go to Tokyo for work and, luckily for me, he needed to go during the summer holidays. So, with only a month's notice, we booked and planned a trip to Tokyo. A brilliant thing that came about with absolutely no planning or striving! We also managed some mini adventures, including a trip to Portsmouth, a nght in Cardiff and a weekend in the Forest of Dean to see our lovely friends Fee and Dave tie the knot.



2015 brought acceptance of another kind too. I said yes and we're getting married in March. Woo! After much initial stress we took the pressure off ourselves, said 'fuck that' to the big family wedding and started planning a much more manageable do. More about that in the next couple of weeks!


The biggest change in my life this year has probably been with work. I applied for a couple of jobs at the beginning of the year and didn't get them. I began volunteering for one of the charities and decided to enjoy getting the experience and not push things too hard in terms of the job hunt. I settled into a routine for a new months and accepted the situation as it was. Then I got a phone call asking if I was still interested in a job I applied for in March. I was and, after some waiting, I started my new role in November. I absolutely love it and I still can't quite believe it's actually happened.

My blog hasn't made much progress this year, although I have found lots of lovely new blogs to follow and started taking part in Lousia and Jane's Photo an Hour (when I remember!). I've also been sending more snail mail. Let me know if you want to exchange letters, I'm always up for findig new penpals.

Health-wise this has been my most stable year yet, and I don't think that's a coincidence. I've cut down on my medication and am rounding up therapy. On the whole I think I've managed to avoid putting undue pressure on myself (not easy for me). Not bad for a year where I didn't set out to achieve anything!

So... What's my word of 2016..? I'll let you know at the weekend (just as soon as I've thought of it).

I'm linking up to Lauren's 2015 round up. Go and take a look and comment on the others (if you want to, obviosuly).

Share your 2015 - Belle du Brighton

Happy New Year! I hope your 2015 was wonderful.

No comments

I'd love to hear what you think...