Cream tea at Studland Bay.

About a year ago I tried to start a Cake and Tea themed blog. I posted twice but then quickly realised that I didn't have the time, energy or motivation to keep it up! Let's be fair, I only manage to update this one infrequently. I'm going to delete the other blog, so before that happens I'll be transferring over the posts that I actually did manage to write. 



What do you get if you mix naked middle aged men, a ferry on chains, and more beaches that you can shake a piece of driftwood at? Why, Studland Bay in Dorset, of course.


On Saturday we got the ferry (which runs on chains, no less) from Sandbanks (near Poole harbour) across to Shell Bay. After just over an hour of walking along the (in parts, nudist) beach, we made it to the National Trust tea room on Studland bay



I guess it's possible that walking past naked middle-aged men might put you off your tea, but nothing gets in between me and my cream tea, even the sight of slightly-sunburned nudey bits. As you can see from the picture, the cafe is practically on the (clothed part of) the beach. If you like cream teas and beaches (and who doesn't?) then location-wise it probably doesn't get much better than this.


Now, for most people, the location would probably be the best thing about this cafe. I, however, am not most people. My inner child was just a little bit (ahem) over-excited about these special light-up buzzer thingys. Yes, that is the technical term. Basically, you put it on your table, and it lights up and buzzes when your order is ready. Look, I'm easily-entertained, ok?


Our cream tea. It was pretty much standard National Trust fayre. For the uninitiated, that means it's reliably good, if a little on the expensive side. Not the best cream tea you'll ever have, but far from the worst. 

We weren't given a choice of tea, but the English Breakfast we had was nice and strong, and there was definitely enough of it. The scones were tasty, although very average in size (and suddenly my mind is filled with images from the nudist beach...). Personally I could have done with a little more cream, but I am a bit of a pig. 



Scores on the doors:

Tea: 6.5/10 (Good English Breakfast and lots of it.)
Cake: 6/10 (Decent scones, nothing extra special though.)
Service/Facilities: 6/10 (Friendly staff, might be a bit pokey sitting inside in winter.)
Value for money: 5/10
Setting: 9/10 
Uniqueness: 6/10 (5 for the location, 5 for the buzzer, -4 for being part of a chain.)

Definitely worth a visit if the sun's out and you're easily entertained by things that light up and buzz... Just me? 

No comments

I'd love to hear what you think...