Feeling Lucky: a Rare 'Glass Half Full' Moment

 D


I'm feeling so incredibly lucky and grateful. Not just because I've managed to bag what is probably the only reclining chair left in the airport (although that is ace) but because I'm here, and I'm happy.

As much as I try to avoid it, it's easy to dwell on the things that haven't gone well over the last few years, or compare myself to friends with great careers and full ISAs. But really, I know that I'm blessed. The fact that I was born in a developed country, in peacetime, into a family that loved about me and could afford to put food on the table... well, that puts me in a position of being luckier than most people in the world.

All of that is brilliant enough. But now I feel like things are extra brilliant. I've just had two holidays, I've travelled outside of Europe for the first time, I'm in a relationship with someone who makes me incredibly happy, I have the best friends in the world and I'm probably the sanest I've been in years (it's all relative, but still). I'm lucky. And it is luck. Yes I work hard and I'm (normally) a nice person, but there are a lot of people who work a LOT harder than me and are much nicer, and lots of them are in a far worse life situation than me.

Obviously I am still a doom-monger at heart so I'm absolutely convinced that it's all going to come crashing down around me at any moment. The glass half full thing can only go so far!

I don't really know what point I'm making with this, I just think that it's important to stand back, check yo' privilege and appreciate what you've got. Y'know?

Apologies if all this positivity has made you feel nauseous. The cynicism will return soon, I promise.

2 comments

  1. Got to enjoy that glass half full moment whilst it's there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy it! It's probably because you're on holiday from school! Strange things happen then!x

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think...