8 Things I Loved About Tokyo (and 1 Thing I Hated)

Tokyo, Tokyo, Tokyo... Did I mention that I went to Tokyo?

I'll be posting about it a LOT so get used to it. Sorry, that was rude of me. I'll try and limit it to one a week or something. Read this one then feel free to ignore any others! Read it if you'd like to, I mean. Where are my manners today?!

This post was originally going to be called 'Things I Appear to Have in Common with Japanese People' but that sounded kind of weird and maybe a bit racist (or at least reductionist) so I changed it. Anyway, here's what I loved:

The cuteness. Yep, the Japanese love of kawaii is not just a stereotype. Or maybe it is, but it's a stereotype that every shop/company/public service poster artist conforms to. I'm not really a cutesy person but they won me over.
 
 Cute!

The snacking opportunities. I'm an extremely food-orientated individual, and trying new foods is one thing I really look forward to when going on holiday. Going to Japan seemed like an excellent opportunity to try loads of new things and it most definitely was. I tried many, many new snacks in the name of adventure and... It was interesting. There will be a separate food post (obviously).

It's acceptable to nap in public. This took me completely by surprise. I regularly saw people napping on trains, in train stations, in museums, on the pavement, leaning against a fountain. Often couples leaning against each other. I might have indulged in a five minute art gallery nap myself. 

The fact that it's acceptable to slurp noodles in public. I had to slurp my noodles because I only posses basic chopstick skills, so I was very relieved to find out that I could do this with pride! You're allowed to make the slurps really noisy too.
 
 SLURP!

The politeness. I came across so many kind, polite people. Strangers approached me to ask if I needed directions, they helped us translate things, chatted to me on the train, they didn't even raise an eyebrow when I handed over a ¥10,000 note for a ¥400 purchase. 

The variety. The contrast between the old and new in Tokyo is amazing. On one hand you've got manga, love hotels, neon, shopping malls and Harajuku's craziness. On the other hand you've got temples, shrines, gardens and (slightly further afield) waterfalls, lakes and mountains. Only problem? There was far too much to do, so now I want to go back and fit in everything else. Boo.

Karaoke. I love Singstar, but hate the idea of singing to a roomful of strangers. In Tokyo, most of the karaoke is in karaoke boxes. So it's just you and your partner/friends in a room (ours was the size of a box) singing away. Advantages of this system: you can hog the mic, you can be enthusiastic, you can order drinks via telephone. And they had tambourines. They really enhanced my performance of Mambo No.5, I'm telling you.


And the thing I hated?
 
'A jelly-like confection made from bracken startch'. In the spirit of testing my 'I'll eat anything' attitude, I picked up some random 7-Eleven deserts for us to try. One of them turned out to be (unfortunately I translated that after I'd tried it). It was disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. I had to actually spit it out.
 


Some of this stuff will require separate posts (not the bracken startch, I never want to speak of that again) but you get the idea...

In case you didn't get the idea, the idea is this: I LOVED TOKYO.

Sorry, I'm being annoying now. I'll stop. To quote Chandler, I sensed that I should stop.
 

11 comments

  1. Can't wait to hear more about your trip. A lot of my guiding / scouting friends have just been to the WSJ in Japan and I'm hearing so much about it at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes I saw lots of scouts in Tokyo!

      Delete
  2. I will definitely be reading all your Japan posts! Can't wait to read more. That bracken stuff looks gross... Ive never been but I feel like these are all the reasons I love Japan so much. Especially the contrast of old and new. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was gross! There'll be lots more Japan posts coming up :) I already wish I was back there!

      Delete
  3. I will definitely be reading all your Japan posts! Can't wait to read more. That bracken stuff looks gross... Ive never been but I feel like these are all the reasons I love Japan so much. Especially the contrast of old and new. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will definitely be reading all your Japan posts! Can't wait to read more. That bracken stuff looks gross... Ive never been but I feel like these are all the reasons I love Japan so much. Especially the contrast of old and new. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds amazing! Love the new look to your blog BTW (maybe it's not so new and I just haven't noticed, which is also perfectly possible)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's new :) Glad you like it, I'm really happy with it x

      Delete
  6. I welcome anywhere that napping in public is accepted, that's my kind of place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooooooooooooooooh, it sounds amazing! Except for Bracken jelly. That sounds minging! I can't wait to hear about the FOOD!X

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you had a good time! I now want to go, just to eat all the food (except the jelly starch thing) and nap in public, oh and slurp!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think...