Penguin's #seasonsreadings Challenge [one]


Penguin are running a seasonal Book-a-Day challenge, so I thought I'd join in, given that I love both Christmas and reading. It's actually an Instagram thing (@penguinukbooks) but I'm going to do it on here so that I can explain my choices, rather than just posting the pictures. The idea of the challenge is that you're given a prompt for each day of December (up until the 25th) and asked to think of a book that corresponds to each one. I found some of the prompts a bit repetitive, so I'm going to chose my favourites... you're not the boss of me, Penguin! 

Here's the first installment:



Iconic first line: 'Marley was dead, to begin with.' I'm not sure if this is actually the best first line of a book that I've ever read, but it was one that popped into my head, and I think it's a good 'un. It's instantly engaging, and it shows that a well-placed comma can indeed be a beautiful thing. Also, it's festive... winning.

Last read: The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed out of the Window and Disappeared. This had been on my 'to read' list for a while (it's a long list) and it didn't disappoint. Jonasson intermingles the story of Allan Karlsson's (somewhat eventful) life with the story of what happens on his 100th birthday. It's funny, surreal, and un-put-down-able. I recommend it.

On my Christmas list: Seeing as I've asked for tattoo money for Christmas, I had to refer to my Kindle wish list instead. Lots of people have recommended The Secret History to me over the years, so it'll soon be time to heed their advice and actually read it.

Quintessentially British: The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole. Adrian's self-deprecation, neurosis and moaning strike me as somehow being quintessentially, realistically British. It's also quintessentially 80s, but that's beside the point; Townsend's descriptions of teenage angst are universal, so it doesn't really matter what decade it's set in. This book is guaranteed to make me laugh hysterically every time; my copy is falling to pieces because I've read it so many times. If you haven't read this already, you need to. Just writing this is making me want to go and re-read it now...

2 comments

  1. I absolutely adore The Secret History, I hope you enjoy it when you get to read it. (Also tattoo money?! Exciting - what do you have planned?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm getting a shell... Rebecca Vincent is doing it and I love her work so I'm very excited :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think...