Penguin's #seasonsreadings Challenge [two]

This is my second installment of Penguin's #seasonsreadings book challenge (the first one- with a longer introduction- is here).




Everyone should read: I used to always tell people to read Wuthering Heights, but no-one ever did (my boyfriend tried, and failed). An author I've discovered, and loved, a bit more recently is Khaled Hosseini. His books are set in Afghanistan (and a bit in the US). Although the novels describe events in single families, they also manage to explore years of history and culture. They're so, so gripping and engaging. I couldn't narrow it down to one of his books, so I've included two (rebellious): The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns (the books have similar themes but aren't part of a series).

Childhood favourite: This one was tricky. I love a lot of more 'classic' children's books, and lots of YA fiction, but I've decided to just go with my gut and pick a book that (when I was younger) I truly loved. Don't get me wrong, it's terribly written, but I absolutely love Mary-Anne Saves The Day (and, as is well-documented on this blog, all of the Babysitters Club Books). 

It's a mystery! I love a good crime thriller, so again there are many books I could have chosen. I've decided to go with one from my favourite crime writer, Val McDermid. The Torment of Others is the fourth book in the Tony Hill/Carol Jordan series, so although it's my favourite, it's probably not the best one to start off with. For McDermid newbies I'd recommend The Mermaids Singing.

This was a tough one, I could probably have chosen at least five books for each of these prompts! 

1 comment

  1. I love babysitters club books! Also sweet valley high, I used to read those a lot as well as goosebumps :)

    Hope you have a great Christmas.

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think...