Penguin's #seasonsreadings Challenge [three]

This is the third, penultimate installment of Penguin's #seasonsreadings book challenge (the first one- with a longer introduction- is here).



I judged this by its cover White Teeth has one of those covers that's become a bit of a modern classic. I was definitely drawn to it when I saw it on the shelf about 13(!) years ago. In my opinion, the content lives up to the cover. Disappointingly, I don't think any of Zadie Smith's later books have quite lived up to her debut, but White Teeth is a must-read (and re-read).

Latest purchase The Red House was a recent charity shop find. Earlier this year, I saw The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime at an NT Live screening, which reignited my interest in Mark Haddon. As with White Teeth, I'm always a bit wary of novels that succeed a brilliant debut, but I'm looking forward to giving this one a go.

Stocking filler I have a confession to make, and it might not go down well... When someone tells me a story that involves animal death, I get an uncontrollable urge to laugh. Yes, I'm a terrible person. This is (for obvious reasons) an idiosyncrasy that sticks in people's minds, so when The Book of Bunny Suicides came out, I received no less than three copies for Christmas, one of which partially filled that year's stocking! The following Christmas one of my friends even made me a t-shirt featuring one of my favourite bunny suicides (we were pretty poor that year and had recently discovered the wonders of iron-on transfer paper). In a nutshell, it's a series of cartoons that depict a bunny trying to end its life in increasingly inventive ways. Try it (unless you have a depressed pet rabbit).

Read at school Like everyone else who did English Lit GCSE circa 2000 and beyond, I read To Kill A Mockingbird. If you didn't, I bet you did Of Mice and Men, amiright? To be fair, they're both excellent books, and proof that encouraging teenagers to study high quality and engaging literature should be prioritised over studying books which are written by British authors (I'm looking at you, Gove). Anywho, this is a wonderful book. I want to be Atticus Finch when I grow up. 

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think...