Penguin's #seasonsreadings Challenge [four]

It's the fourth and final edition of Penguin's #seasonsreadings book challenge (the first one- with a longer introduction- is here).




For someone I love When my cousin got married, she asked every guest to give them a book that they love, with a note written on the inside. I gave her The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. It's a wonderful, rich book which follows the lives of Indian twins Estha and Rahel. The plot revolves around a tragic event which occurred several years before, when the twins' cousin visited from England. This is definitely a book I want to re-read soon (partly because I want to see if it's as good as I remember!).

Massive Tome Great Expectations. I studied Bleak House at uni, and although it was hard going at times I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Since then I've read Oliver Twist, A Tale of Two Cities and Great Expectations, and have genuinely enjoyed them all. I even find Dickens funny... What a loser.

Funny read The Timewaster Letters by Robin Cooper (who is in fact Robert Popper). This book is so, so funny. We're talking so funny that I can't read it in public because it makes me laugh so much that I can't breathe. It's a series of letters that Popper writes to various companies/MPs/associations with bizarre requests/suggestions (often complete with diagrams and updates on his fictional wife's bad ankle). That description probably doesn't make it sound that funny, but I promise you that it is!

Under the tree My Dad loves ferries. Not beautiful sailing ships, but passenger ferries and cargo ships. I don't know why either. Anyway I discovered to my surprise that he did not already have the Ferry and Cruise Yearbook 2014, so under the tree it went. It went down well... Beyond that, I can't really comment.

Well, that's the #seasonsreadings challenge over. I've loved writing it; I think I'm going to try and do a monthly book round up throughout 2015. You lucky things!


1 comment

  1. I had to laugh at your book selection for your dad - my dad is obsessed with churches, his favourite gift this year was a guide to England's cathedrals, dating from 1952, that I'd found in a charity shop.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think...