12 Lists of Christmas: The Best Bits of 2014

On New Year's Day last year I tweeted:

I'd say that this pretty much happened. I think maybe part of me had (naïvely) imagined that the crises were over for good. Obviously, they weren't, but I still think that overall this has been a really positive 12 months.

Here's what's been brilliant:



Travel. 2014 has taken me to eight different countries (Beth will be pleased to know that I counted Wales separately).


Work. This has continued to be a source of joy for me this year.




New opportunities. I've been making an effort to do something new every week, and 2014 has offered me so much in the way of exciting and interesting opportunities.


Gigs. I've been lucky enough to go to 10 gigs this year. The highlights include Franz Ferdinand, Less Than Jake and The Libertines, but Arcade Fire was definitely the best gig I went to (and one of the best I've ever been to).



Weddings. The summer of 2014 was the official start of wedding season, as my friends start to tie the knot. Three weddings in four weeks (in three different countries) was pretty exhausting, but I loved it. Cake, speeches, and my in-car wedding playlist...what's not to love?


This one might sound a bit weird: blips. Would I rather have been consistently well for the whole year? Of course. 100%. But, if the crises had to happen, then I'm glad they turned out the way they did. As often happens with these things, they cemented my trust in my partner and my friends. For a long time I found it hard to truly open up to people and trust them to help me, but this is definitely getting better. I'm so glad and so grateful for the wonderful people I have around me. 

I loved writing this post. Sometimes when you look back at a year the first bits that spring to mind are the difficult bits. Writing this has made me realise how much I have to be grateful for (and how even really terrible things can have silver linings).

Bring on 2015.

1 comment

  1. This was lovely to read - the description of your work as 'a source of joy' is wonderful, I try very hard to focus on the good bits of my job and thinking of my kids as a source of joy (which they so often are) is a nice way to go about it.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think...