Dreamland, Margate and T20 Cricket.

SOMERSET, OOH ARR ARR!
SOMERSET, OOH ARR ARR!

I'd be lying if I said that the Somerset supporters raised the roof when we went to see Kent and Somerset playing T20 cricket in Canterbury. A) There were approximately 10 Somerset fans in attendance. B) There was no roof. There were, however, floodlights and a giant inflatable pig named Pigby (really).

Sadly Somerset lost, but on the plus side we had a free cider and got to watch an apocalyptic storm brewing. Turns out that there's nothing funnier than a man trying to rein in a giant inflatable pig in gale-force winds.




Saturday was Margate Day (for us, not officially). I've been a couple of times before but we were hoping that we'd have beach weather this time. Our hopes were dashed by stupid clouds, so we popped into the Dreamland Exhibition instead. For those of you who didn't grow up in Kent all of you, Dreamland is a theme park in Margate that closed in 2006. Since then there's been a big campaign to conserve the old rides and get the place reopened. Rather than try and compete with the big boys they're restoring the park to its former glory and reinventing/rebuilding the old rides (the park first opened in 1920 and a lot of the rides date from the 20s and 30s). In my head it's going to be a retro paradise and I am very much looking forward to visiting once it's open again.

The exhibition had loads of old arcade games, and some parts of the bigger rides. This resulted in a rather excellent photo opportunity...


This might actually be my favourite photo of myself ever. I'm not sure exactly what this says about me, but it says a lot. Sexy, right?

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think...