Makes: Ribbon/Present-Style Cake Icing.



I was really pleased with the way that the icing on my Christmas cake turned out, so I thought I'd share! I know it's not Christmas any more, but I think the design would work as a birthday cake too. The first time I made Christmas cake I kept the icing simple, but I wanted to try and be more adventurous this time around.

Having decided that I wanted to decorate the cake in the style of a present, I turned to YouTube to try and find a ribbon that looked easy enough for me to replicate. I looked at a couple of them, but I found that this one was the easiest to follow, and didn't need any fancy tools:


I made a few changes to keep it super simple; I used silver balls instead of icing spots to decorate the rest of the cake, and I only used eight loops to make the ribbon. I attached the icing loops/ribbons to the cake by brushing a little bit of warm water onto the white icing before I placed the decoration on top (only a little bit though, you don't want the red dye to start running onto the rest of the cake). I found it easier than I anticipated to do, I just needed to give myself time to make mistakes!

The only thing I wasn't very happy with was the amount of icing sugar I left on the bow- I think I went a bit overboard, and it's made the finish look a bit powdery. Overall though, I'm really pleased with the finished product! If I can do it, anyone can... 

Is it too early to be planning this year's cake..? Obviously I'm not doing that. No, that would be ridiculous...

1 comment

  1. Well done! I wouldn't even know where to start baking ha. My mum is really into cake decorating though and is doing a college course about it, she does all these little animal models and stuff. It's cute.

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think...