5:2 Friendly Bean Chilli

I've been (trying) to do the 5:2 diet for around three weeks and... I'm still not sure what I think. One thing I do know is that I love bean chilli, and it's mega 5:2-friendly, so I thought I'd share...


Ingredients (for five to six servings):
Tin of red kidney beans.
Tin of butter beans.
Two tins of chopped tomatoes.
Tomato puree.
Two (largeish) chopped red onions.
Loads of chopped mushrooms.
Chopped red pepper.
Three cloves of crushed garlic.
Fresh chopped chillies (depending on how spicy you want it).
Chilli powder, paprika, cumin and ginger. Or a sachet of chilli con carne spice mix.

What to do with it all:
In a nutshell: 
chuck it all in a pan, make it taste nice. 
In more detail:
Fry the pepper, mushrooms, onion, chillies and garlic in the ginger and cumin.
Add the beans and chopped tomatoes.
Add the other spices/spice mix to taste.
Add the tomato puree if you think it needs to be thickened up a bit.
Cook it on a low heat for approx 20-30 minutes, until it thickens up nicely.

Calories:
The whole lot has about 700 calories in it, so you can divide it up however you like. On a '2 day' I have it on its own, because rice seems like a bit of a waste of calories... It freezes well too.

Let me know if you try it.

2 comments

  1. I'm definitely going to try this, I'm not on the 5:2 diet but am always looking for tasty low calorie meals! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good, will give this a try! I borrowed a 5:2 book from the library, but grew frustrated by lack of photos. (I need photos to help/assist/demonstrate how a meal is 'supposed' to look) xxx

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think...