Weekend Wanderlust: What Travel Means To Me.

I read this post on Alice's blog last week, and it got me thinking about the reasons why I love travel so much.


By 'travel' I mean any trip that takes me out of my everyday surroundings and throws me in somewhere new, be that a month-long trip or an hour spent wandering around a previously unexplored part of London. I've shared a lot of my trips/fantasy future trips on the blog but I thought it was time to explain why I love it so much.

It calms me. I find that there's something so relaxing about being physically removed from your everyday life, even if it's just for a few hours. Just two or three days into last summer's trip, I felt so free from all the little problems and stresses that had been eating away at me. Certain problems just feel so much less significant when you're reminded that the world is much bigger than the little bit that you happen to live in.

It's in my bones. Or my genes. My Dad is a travel fanatic. Every year he meticulously plans his four (UK) holidays, literally spending hours pouring over the massive pile of brochures that live next to his chair. I used to mock him for this, but now I totally get where he's coming from. 

I always come away feeling like I've learnt something. Be it an understanding of a new culture, discovering a new artist in a gallery, learning about myself, or discovering new favourite places.

It makes me feel a great sense of achievement, and reminds me of how capable I can be. I often underestimate my abilities, but even I can't deny that planning and going on a month-long solo trip, or spending six months in a foreign country, is impressive. This gives me a much-needed confidence boost.

It makes me properly, genuinely happy

Have you been bitten by the travel bug? What's your favourite thing about exploring new places?

6 comments

  1. i LOVE seeing how the other half live. i adore travelling - it can be tiring and stressful, but it's also the most fascinating thing i've ever done. x (following now!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I can't wait for more time off so I can begin to travel more. Thanks for sharing.
    Liz
    http://liz-makes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have definitely been bitten by the travel bug. Traveling is my favorite thing to do and I cannot imagine my life without it!

    Sandra from The Puzzle of Sandra's Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish that I could travel more. Right now though it's all about the small weekend trips that I can take [easier to afford]. I need to go to Asia again, and Europe. Goals in life! :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww thank you for mentioning my post, I think I'm longing for much much more tavel in my life. I can really relate to how you feel - sometimes travel provides the escape you desire/need from everyday life xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favourite thing about travelling is the planning. I love the anticipation, making lists, looking at guidebooks... often the visit or holiday is a bit of a let-down after all my excitement!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think...