Making Changes: Body Image

I've been thinking about the stuff I put in Tuesday's post (about how I feel about my weight). Writing down my feelings hasn't changed them (yet) but it has helped me to acknowledge how I feel, and start to question it (on a 'thought' level, if not quite yet a 'feelings' one). I don't have any answers, but I have decided to make a few little changes.



I'm going to remove 'lose a stone' from my list of New Year's resolutions. I don't need to; my BMI is comfortably within the healthy range, my clothes fit me and look nice, and there's absolutely no need for me to suddenly become smaller than I've ever been in my adult life. 

I do want to stay healthy and fit though, so I'm going to keep using My Fitness Pal to keep track of my calories and nutrition, but I'm going to allow myself to have cheat days where I can eat what I want (without completely binge eating). If I do lose a couple of pounds, that's fine, but if I stay the same, that's fine too. 

I'm going to keep exercising because I enjoy it, it's good for my general wellbeing. It's not important for me to have a skinny body, but it is important for me to have a healthy one.

I'm also going to try and take more pride in my appearance. I know that for some people, wearing make up is a negative thing, a mask that they feel tied to. For me, however, it's a sign of confidence, that I don't mind being noticed, that (and excuse me for what I'm about to type) I'm worth it (currently trying not to vomit onto the keyboard). I'm going to wear the clothes I love, with confidence, and use more of my massive jewellery collection, rather than just wear the same things again and again.

But mostly, I'm going to try and remember that my appearance is not the most important thing about me (or anyone). In fact, it doesn't even make the 'Top Ten Most Important Things About Me' (don't worry, that's not the title of a future post). 

So, actually, if some days I feel a bit crap, get up, scrape my hair back and don't put on any make up, well, at least I managed to get up. Because some days, that is an achievement in itself.

This stuff isn't a magical solution, but I'm hoping it's a step in the right direction.

13 comments

  1. What brave words - I've never accepted my body and hope one day I will be able to (whatever size I am). It's tough, and one that constantly niggles me. A healthy body is by far more positive than a skinny one xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard isn't it? I wish I could just accept myself too. xx

      Delete
  2. Great post :) You really do look amazing at the moment and don't need to get any smaller, although I know it's easy for me to say. I think I'll follow your lead and wear my jewellery more often too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am rubbish at responding to compliments, but thank you. Do you still have all your Claire's earrings? If you do, that's a lot of jewellery to start getting through! xx

      Delete
    2. Oops, sorry, I've only just seen this! Unfortunately I can only wear good quality earrings at the moment, I'm sticking to studs until the piercings stop playing up! x

      Delete
  3. Great stuff. I think healthy is the most important thing, and exercise is such a mood-booster. Since I've started exercising regularly my weight has just increased, so I think to some extent weight is irrelevant. Thinking about good exercise and good eating is definitely better to think about than a "good weight" x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, weight is just a number, and it's too easy to get caught up on weighing yourself every day/hour... Healthy is more important. xx

      Delete
  4. I have a lot of respect for this post <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. I think its a much better outlook to focus on being healthy rather than being a certain size/weight. I completely agree with you about makeup too. I understand that some people feel its a way to cover up and try to be someone you're not, but I definitely see it as using it to be the best version of you, and to enhance (not change) your features.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree. It's definitely a positive thing for me. xx

      Delete
  6. What you say about taking pride in your appearance is exactly how I feel - almost as though you're not good enough to wear make-up or nice clothes. Directly stems from not being in the in crowd at school in my case, and I can't seem to shake it off 15 years later :( xx

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think...