4 books I loved In 2012.

Totally and utterly spoiler-free, I promise!

This time last year, when I was writing my 30 Before 30, I decided that I needed to get back into reading, and aim for 100 new books before I reached the big 3-0. I've been doing pretty well (by my standards) and I managed 26 last year. Here are the ones I loved:

The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. As a fan of teen fiction, I'm ashamed to say that I didn't read these books until this year. Catching Fire (the second book in the series) was definitely my favourite of the three, I loved the fast pace and found the plot genuinely unpredictable. Phrases such as, 'It's a real page-turner' and 'I couldn't put it down' are bandied about in posts like these, but, well, it was a real page-turner, and I really couldn't put it down. I found the characters and the world created by the author captivating, and disturbingly believable. And, yes, the book is better than the film. 



Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson. One of those books that I've been meaning to read for years, but hadn't quite got around to. In fact it took a crazily-reduced copy in the HMV sale (hmmmm) to encourage me to finally buy the book and read it. I loved the way that the main character's relationships with God and her mother were explored; they managed to be simultaneously unusual and entirely realistic. The action is interspersed with metaphorical fairy tales and, although some of them were less than subtle, I liked the way that this made me reflect on the plot and characters. Thought-provoking, moving, and not quite what I was expecting. I like it when a book surprises me.


The Woman In Black by Susan Hill. My only regret about reading this book is that I waited until after I'd seen the film.  Not deliberately, but because I saw the film on the spur of the moment and I hadn't been particularly interested in the book before this. Scary and disturbing, but in a much more subtle way than the film. I think that in a way, seeing the film first slightly ruined the suspense that is expertly built up in the book. If you haven't seen the film yet, I'm begging you to read this first! 




Ordinary Thunderstorms by William Boyd. I love a thriller, and this was an extremely good one. It follows an ordinary man whose life is turned upside-down by an extraordinary event. The sub-plots keep the story fast-paced and interesting, and they're expertly woven together as the story develops. Gripping, intense and realistic. The detail with which the characters and locations were described made it feel so believable, which is a real achievement when you take into account the extreme nature of the novel's events. I'm desperately hoping for a sequel. 



What was your favourite book of 2012?

8 comments

  1. I really want to read Ordinary Thunderstorms, great post

    http://alittlebitunique.blogspot.co.uk/

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have lovely blog, i really like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favourite was The Vanishing Point by Val McDermid :) Also loved The Hunger Games books x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shamefully I don't think I read any proper books in 2012! My goal is to read alot more in 2013 and now my amazon wishlist has loads of books, just need to find the funds now!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it, my spending ban means I can't buy any new books for ages! Although there's always the library? xx

      Delete
  5. Ah but didn't you think the book ending to Woman in Black was so much better than the predictable film ending?! I wasn't all that fussed on either but the book definitely improved near the end... I loved the Hunger Games book tho and surprisingly liked the movie too, usually I'm a huge critic of adaptations ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes definitely, I thought the book of The Woman In Black was much better. There were some bits of the film that were just ridiculous (I don't want to give spoilers, but you can probably guess what I mean!).

      I did enjoy The Hunger Games film, but I thought it didn't explain some things very well. To me, Peeta and Katniss's relationship seemed really different in the film. It made more sense in the book.

      I'm normally really critical of adaptations too! xx

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think...