Review: Snow White and the Huntsman (Spoiler-free)

Spoiler-free (because I'm nice like that).

First things first: I don't do Disney. I've never seen Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (or Bambi, or The Jungle Book, or Cinderella, or Beauty and the Beast...) and I never really intend to; I just don't really do cheese. As a Literature geek, I know that a lot of traditional fairy tales are much, much darker and more violent than their Disney remasterings, and are, in the main, great stories. I therefore went to see Snow White and the Huntsman expecting to really enjoy it, because the impression I'd got from the trailer was that it would be a much darker, more grown up and more sinister interpretation that any cheesy cartoon.

I was disappointed. At several points of the film it seemed like things were going to take a more brutal turn, but it just never really happened. The whole thing came across a bit like a live action Disney film. And, while that might be some people's cup of tea, it was not what I signed up for. The script really frustrated me; I just found it to be completely devoid of surprises.

There was, however, one genuinely brilliant thing about this film; it looked amazing. A-MAZING. As much as I'd like to, I cannot fault the cinematography. The visual motif of blood on the snow was perfect, and the scenery was absolutely captivating. I didn't come away wanting to buy the DVD, or watch the Twilight films, but my God I want to get in a VW Camper and head to Surrey...


1 comment

  1. Yeah I wont be rushing to see that, but I did recently see Prometheus and I highly recommend it!

    Gems x

    Don't forget to enter my First Ever Giveaway - Fashion, Well Done it's open internationally!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think...